Sybil Andrews (1898-1992)
Sybil Andrews Morgan was best known for her work as a printmaker and her modernist linocuts. Her introduction to art took place in the form of a correspondence course with John Hassall while she was working in Bristol as an oxyacetylene welder during the First World War. She then studied with Henry G. Massey at Heatherley School of Fine Art, London, and in 1922 with Claude Flight at the Grosvenor School of Fine Art, London.
By the 1930s she enjoyed an international reputation for her modernist colour linocuts focusing on images of people at work and on sporting events and between 1929 and 1937 she produced a series of posters (in collaboration with Cyril Power) under the pseudonym “Andrew Power.” She married Walter Morgan in 1943 and in 1947 the couple immigrated to Campbell River, British Columbia, where Andrews taught art classes and wrote a book, “Artists’ Kitchen.”
In 1991, Andrews donated 575 works of art, including oils, watercolours, drawings, woodcuts, and drypoints, to the Glenbow Museum. Her work has been exhibited all over the world and is owned by the Glenbow Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.